Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pump It Up

Hello all! Hope everyone had a good day. I think I can definitely say that I did, despite the lack of work for me today at the office. What's new.

Ever since the company I intern for, OK! Magazine, got bought out by another company, they have not had much for me to do since the employees themselves are still trying to learn the new rules, people, and environment. So what I have come to do all day is read. Yes, read for six or seven hours of my workday, and I am definitely not complaining.

Today after work, I had plans to attend a Group Power class. So I rushed home, obviously my train was late, and quickly ate an apple with peanut butter. I sample four different kinds and finally decided that my favorite peanut butter is Wild Harvest organic. Holy yum!


After Group Power, which by the way kicked my a**, I came home to prepare dinner. I had been thinking about it all day, so I was very anxious. On the menu tonight was a tofu scramble.



Tofu Scramble

Ingredients:

  • half a block of organic, firm tofu (I used Nasoya)
  • 1 stalk of broccoli
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • half a zucchini
  • 2 tbsp. or more of reduced sodium teriyaki sauce
  • 1/8 tsp. ground ginger 
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • black pepper to taste
  • red pepper flakes to taste


Directions:

  • Place the block of tofu in a tofu press or between two paper towels or plates, and put something heavy on top of the plate or towel to rid excess water from the tofu. This will make the tofu extra firm
  • Chop the zucchini, broccoli, and red bell pepper into desired size
  • Cut the block of tofu in half, since this recipe only calls for one serving 
  • Dice the tofu and place all ingredients into a greased pan on medium heat. I used Pam
  • After the veggies and tofu start to sizzle, add the teriyaki sauce, ground ginger, garlic powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes
  • Cover the skillet and let cook for about ten minutes. Check occasionally to make sure nothing is burning 
  • If you want the veggies to be more or less steamed, adjust the heat or allow the dish to cook for a few minutes longer
  • Enjoy!


This dish was not only so easy and fast to make, but it was really good! I haven't had tofu in awhile and it definitely made me remember why I like it so much. This dinner is perfect if your pressed for time and need a quick, easy, and healthy dinner.


Look how firm the tofu is?! I think I need to invest in a tofu press soon. You can add whatever veggies, seasonings, and sauces you want to this recipe, the options are endless! I used what I had on hand, but I can imagine onions, sugar snap peas, water chestnuts, or corn would work well in this dish as well.


Well, I hope you give this recipe a try, it definitely will not dissapoint. I am off to take a much needed shower and then hop in bed. I am thinking of taking a 5:45 am spin class tomorrow morning, so I better boogie to bed or I will probably bail when my alarm goes off tomorrow. We shall see. G'night!


0 comments:

Post a Comment