Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tofu Love

Hello, everyone! Hope you had a fantastic day. Mine went by surprisingly fast, but I was glad to be outta there when 5 o'clock came around.

Earlier in the day, I decided to take a 7 o'clock spin class. I wanted an instructed workout and I knew spinning would kick me in the behind. However, this meant that I had to run home from the train station, quickly eat something, change, and boogie out the door. My train gets in at 6:32 or so, so I was in quite the hurry.

Anyway, I made it and completely an hour of spinning! During some parts I thought I was gonna die, puke, or faint. But, hey, I made it! I always tell myself that pain is only temporary.

Dinner
Tonight for dinner I decided to use of the other half of tofu from last night. However, I wanted to put a different spin on it, insert broiled tofu.

Have you ever had the baked tofu at Whole Foods? If so, you know that it's really, really firm and the outer part is almost crunchy. Well, its my absolute favorite so I tried to recreate it tonight. I would say I was successful.

Ingredients:

  • 1 serving of organic firm or extra firm tofu
  • Rice wine vinegar
  • Low sodium teriyaki sauce
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Ground peppercorn

Directions:

  • Turn oven on to high broil
  • Foil a baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray
  • Place tofu on baking sheet and cover with 2 tbsp. reduced sodium teriyaki sauce, 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, and ground peppercorn to taste
  • Stick in oven for 13-15 minutes until desired firmness  
  • Take out of oven and enjoy!

Although the tofu was not as firm as I would have liked it (I bought firm instead of extra firm), it was still pretty broiled and had a firm texture. I  added some extra teriyaki sauce to my plate to dip the tofu in, as the flavor seemed to disappear once I put it in the oven. Don't know why this happened??


On the side, I sauteed diced red bell pepper, zucchini, and chopped carrots. I sauteed them in a little bit of olive oil, sriracha (spicy!!), pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes. T'was delicious!

I also had a side salad with spring mix and balsamic vinegar (x2). Also x2 on the veggies, yum.



I'm off to watch Pretty Little Liars. I can't wait to see what dramatic events will unfold this week, there's always somethin'. Tomorrow is an off day so I'm hoping to gym it, relax, maybe bake, or even see a movie. We shall see! Good night. xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment